In this present session we will see various recovery scenarios mentioned below.
- Complete database restore and recovery
- Loss of System Datafile
- Non-System datafile ( closed and Open )
- Restoring a tablespace ( closed and Open )
- Restoring a datafile if no backups
- Restoring a datafile to different location
- Restoring controlfile
- restoring spfile
- Restoring online redologs
- Restoring temporary datafiles
- Incomplete Recovery ( time based , Change based and SCN based )
- Recovering archived logs
The following video demo gives you detailed explanation of each scenario and how to restore and recover under different scenarios.
Let me explain you the environment used for this practice. I am using a database with ORACLE_SID=orcl as my database for testing all the different scenarios mentioned above. I am using a recovery catalog for my rman configuration and its details are ORACLE_SID=rmandb and schema used for rman catalog data is rman and the tns alias to connect to catalog database is rmandb.
I have both my databases orcl and rmandb in archive log mode and i also have backup for my database orcl.
For all my restore and recover operations i am using the following syntax to connect to target database and catalog database.
rman target / catalog rman/*******@rmandb
Complete database restore
Non-System datafile ( closed and Open )
Restoring a tablespace ( closed and Open )
Restoring a datafile if no backups
Restoring a datafile to different location
Restoring online redologs
Restoring temporary datafiles
Incomplete Recovery ( time based , Change based and SCN based )
Recovering archived logs
Hope it helps